Santa Rosa Library Advisory Board Meeting

Primary tabs

Program Type:

Library & Community
Please note you are looking at an event that has already happened.

Program Description

Library Advisory Board


Members of the public are welcome to attend the Sonoma Valley Library Advisory Board (LAB) which meets on the second Thursday of February, April, June, August, October and December at 4:00pm.  Members of the public can address the Library Advisory Boards; times are limited to 3 minutes and may be changed at the Library Advisory Board’s discretion.



Final Minutes


Wed., January 25, 2023- 7-8 PM

Protocol: Held Via Teleconference (Computer or Telephone)



Pamela Van Halsema, Sarah Laggos, David Cahill, Cynthia Denenholz, Noah Harris, Serge Zimberoff, Lisa Pollack, Ana Diaz, Jenn Duran, Jessica Romero, John Koetzner, Rosalie Abbott, Sarah Vantrease.

  1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF November 30, 2022- approved with amendments.

An opportunity for members of the public to address the Library Advisory and Friends’ Boards; times are limited to 3 minutes and may be changed at the Library Advisory Board’s discretion.

No Public Comments


Introductions, Ana Diaz, newly elected school board member for Roseland School District, member of Latinos Unidos for Sonoma County, on the Commission on the Status of Women, Appointment to LAB is up for vote by commission on February 1st.


5.1  Discussion of SR LAB support of outward expression of inclusivity within SCL. 

- brought forward by Serge Zimberoff; proposing that LAB issue a statement of support about the supporting inclusivity in our libraries re BLM and Pride flags, that could be public shared.

- Constant communication of inclusivity is important.

-Serge will draft the statement of support, discussion of who will assist and what would be within the Brown Act. Serge wants to ensure that the statement of inclusivity includes that the LAB supports BLM and Pride Flags in the library.

- Noah Harris suggests video summary of Statement of Inclusivity

- Pamela Van Halsema suggests a social media campaign

-David Cahill suggests that the LAB contact Ray Holley the Library Communications Manager. The Commission will discuss at the March meeting.

-Rosalie Abbott asks clarification on timeline

- Public comment will be read and can be found on library website or on commission agenda.

- The March 1st meeting will be in person so comments will be live.

Action items: Serge with draft a statement of support.


Reports and updates on library governance, management, programs, services and support group activities as well as City Council matters. All items are for discussion only.

    1. Library Commissioners’ Report

-Commission meeting March 1 – Commission will discuss inclusivity.

    1. Library Director’s Report

-Sunday hours- week of January 15 was busiest so far.  County wide we served 1600 visitors county wide.  Circulation county wide was 2500. Central was 300 gate count and 500 circ. Thank you to measure Y for the support with adding staff.

-Preparing for fiscal year 2024-2025. This year was a push for Sunday hours. Next year we will be working on adding a new Division.

    1. Branch Managers’ Reports-

-Jessica Romero reported on new book clubs

-Rincon Valley, Family Storytime has begun again, and they had 28 people! Homework help club on Tuesdays. Anime movie with subscription to crunchyroll. Shared about how well her team did during her time off.

            -passive programming explained, as something that people could come in and take home.

-ROSE- celebrated lunar new year, community needs assessment. SR FOL donations have contributed to new programming.

NORT- teen pride book club started, tech help expanded, Librarian Kim started homework help.

    1. Youth Member’s Report
    2. Friends of the Santa Rosa Library Report
    3. City Council Liaison Report



An opportunity for Members to present brief, factual information about their library, respond to public comments, place items on the next agenda, or request information from the Library Commissioners, Director or Branch Managers.

  • Pamela wants us to be an effective library advisory board.

Next agenda items:

  • Orientation of Lab members and communication of LAB members.
  • Create systems of communication

A review of follow-up responsibilities for members and staff.

Sarah Vantrease will add bylaws to Santa Rosa LAB webpage.

  1. ADJOURNMENT—Next meeting: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 at 7pm on Northwest. 2